Small Package Shipments
Small package freight consists of packages weighing 150 pounds or less and are less than 165 inches in length and girth.
- Prepare your package for shipment using the tips provided below.
- Complete a Request for Shipment form. Online form is available at WSU E-Forms
- Call 5-5575 to request a package pick-up for carriers other than the US Postal Service.
Hazardous materials shipments require special packaging, processing, and paperwork. Call 509-432-3869 for information.
Discounts for Incoming Purchased Items
Request that your vendor send purchased items weighing less than 150 pounds marked “bill recipient” in order to take advantage of the University freight discounts with Federal Express and UPS. Call Central Receiving and Delivery for UPS or FedEx account numbers.
- The Fed Ex Express contract provides domestic and international discounts on express saver, 2-day, standard overnight and priority overnight service.
- The UPS agreement offers discounts on domestic next day air, 2nd day air, 3 day select, and commercial and residential ground service.
- FedEx Ground offers discounts for ground shipments in the continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, & Puerto Rico.
- Use a rigid box.
- Remove any labels, hazardous materials indicators, or other shipment markings from the box.
- Use adequate cushioning material.
- Use strong tape designed for shipping.
- Do not use string or paper over-wrap.
- Use a single address label that has clear, complete delivery and return information. To avoid confusion, place only one address label on the box. Place packing slips on the same surface of the box as the address label.
- Place a duplicate address label inside the package .
- Packages may not exceed 165 inches in length and girth combined with a maximum length of 108 inches.
- Packages may not exceed 150 lbs.
Due to the varied paperwork requirements and restriction of many foreign countries, please contact Central Receiving and Delivery at (509) 335-5575.
You may also contact your chosen carrier with any questions regarding shipping into/from specific countries.
Visit our FAQ for answers to commonly asked questions.